At 184,000 hectares, Fraser is the world's largest sand island... and there's plenty of things to do and see when you're not on tour. Why not make a short break of it and indulge in some self guided walks, spa and pool time, mango coloured sunsets over the Great Sandy Strait, McKenzie's jetty and Lake McKenzie or just hang with new friends at the Dingo Bar...
Fly direct to Hervey Bay, Fraser Coast from Sydney with Virgin Australia (with connections from Melbourne and Adelaide) for an action packed Fraser Island adventure. Combine your 3 day Cool Dingo Tour with an extra night before and after the tour to connect with your flights (flights not included).
If you're catching a plane around 12.30 from the Fraser Coast, we'd advise you catch the 7.50 ferry transfer just to be doubly sure you make it on time.
Foreign Language Guides are now available on our Cool Dingo Tours. Please ask when booking or talk to your tour guide.
- Price: $660 quad or $801 twin/double
- Includes 3 Day / 2 Night Cool Dingo Tour; PLUS
- 2 extra nights accommodation.
- 2 extra breakfasts and dinners.
- National Park Permit Levy and Fees included.
- If required Hervey Bay airport transfers - $23 per person return.
Choose and book your transfer time from Hervey Bay - the Kingfisher Passenger Ferry has five return services each day.
|Daily Ferry Transfer Timetable|
|Ferry Departs River Heads||06:45||09:00||12:30||15:30||18:45|
|Ferry Departs Kingfisher Jetty||07:50||10:30||14:00||17:00||20:30|
Make sure you check in at the Kingfisher Bay Mainland Terminal (at River Heads) at least 30 minutes before departure.
After a 50 minute cruise to Fraser Island, arrive at Kingfisher Bay Resort to check in to your Wilderness Lodge accommodation. Your first day before the tour commences is at leisure. Relax, take to the tracks on a self-guided walk (but don't forget to tell someone where you are going), bubble away in the spa, or head to the Jetty Hut for an awesome sunset over water - one of only a few places on the east coast of Australia that you can see this!
Then enjoy an all-you-can-eat buffet dinner at the Dingo Bar and a comfy night's rest before the adventure begins. There's a regular shuttle service between the lodges and resort - check transfer times with resort reception.
COOL DINGO ‘DAY 1' 4WD TOUR
Enjoy a little sleep in and big buffet breakfast, then meet your Cool Dingo Ranger Guide at the Jetty Hut at 9.30am (when the other Cool Dingo passengers arrive from the 9.00am ferry). After the introductions and a quick briefing, your 4WD adventure begins!
Your guide is passionate about Fraser Island and will not only take you to the island's most incredible beauty spots, but also wow you with as many (or as little) fascinating facts about the island's history, fauna and flora. Keep an eye out for dingoes - it's the perfect Fraser Island souvenir!
Your guide stays with you for the entire tour and we promise some action-packed, cool times ahead or the cool dingo eats his hat!
Today's all about check out some of Fraser's coolest inland sights - rainforest growing in sand, oasis in the sand and the historical heart!
- Basin Lake - first stop is a gorgeous walk in to beautiful Basin Lake - get up close and personal with the resident freshwater turtles!
- Central Station - no trains or whistles here - just peaceful, ancient rainforest and the reminders of a once bustling logging camp.
- Wanggoolba Creek - walk along the banks of this silent flowing creek - seriously it doesn't make a sound - with lush green rainforest and rare king ferns... just breathtaking.
- Pile Valley - check out the towering Satinay trees in this rich forest... real giants growing completely in sand!
- Lake McKenzie - with its white sandy beaches and crystal clear waters, Lake McKenzie is even prettier than the postcards. Enjoy a refreshing afternoon swim before heading back to your base at Kingfisher Bay Resort on Fraser Island's western side.
Includes buffet breakfast, picnic lunch and buffet dinner.
COOL DINGO 'DAY 2' 4WD TOUR
All aboard for an early start to explore Seventy-Five Mile Beach - the world's most picturesque beach highway.
- Eli Creek - a great spot for a refreshing dip! Float down this fast-flowing freshwater creek which pours out 80 megalitres of water daily. The temp stays the same all year round... will you take a dip?
- Maheno Shipwreck - washed ashore during a cyclone in 1935, this rusting wreck is one of Fraser Island's must-do photo stops. The rich red rust colours are gorgeous on a sunny day, but you'll still get moody, wonderful pictures on cloudy days1
- The Pinnacles Coloured Sands - With all the colours of the rainbow (well just the reds really) these vibrant sand cliffs are another favourite photo stop. Ask your guide about the Butchulla story of their creation.
- Indian Head - climb to the top of this rocky headland - one of the only rocky spots on the island - for awesome beach and ocean views... look out for sharks, rays and humpback whales (Jul - Nov).
- Champagne Pools - This place is literally bubbles of fun... chill out in these bubbling ocean rock pools, you won't want to leave!
Did you know that 75-Mile Beach is also an air strip... Air Fraser offers spectacular scenic flights over the island - book with your guide on tour (extra cost applies).
Includes buffet breakfast, picnic lunch and buffet dinner.
COOL DINGO ‘DAY 3' 4WD TOUR
After the pace we've set, we'll slow things down slightly with a relaxing day visiting a few of Fraser's lesser known treasures.
- Lake Wabby - walk through cool rainforest to beautiful emerald-green Wabby, Fraser's deepest lake and a favourite swimming hole. This creek has been dammed by prevailing winds sweeping sand into the middle of the island and is now known as a Barrage Lake. It's pretty cool and totally different to Lake Basin and Lake McKenzie.
- Hammerstone Sandblow - trek over one of Fraser Island's vast desert-like sand blows... no wonder it's the world's largest sand island... your guide will be waiting at the end to whisk you off to your next destination.
- Eurong Beach Resort - for lunch we head to Eurong for a relaxed, all-you-can-eat (and then some) buffet lunch. There's also a little souvenir shop for last minute gifts, great coffees in the bakery... and a swimming pool if you feel like indulging.
- Lake Birrabeen - if you loved Lake McKenzie then Birrabeen will allure you with its sparkling clear waters and dazzling white beaches... this is a great way to finish the tour!
Includes buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The last day
Spend an extra night on Fraser Island to relax and just enjoy this World Heritage wonderland. You'll awake to bird song, and enjoy another buffet breakfast before your return to Hervey Bay (check out transfer times above) and the rest of your East Coast adventure.. This day is all about you!
Includes buffet breakfast.
Please note - touring order and itinerary may vary due to tides, seasons and weather conditions - our expert guides will manage this on the day to make sure you get the most out of your time with us.